After a busy weekend away from home (I did a 5km colour run, so much fun!) I was totally stumped on what to pack for a daycare lunch. 5 ingredient Mini Ham and Cheese Biscuit Waffles to the rescue!
I first saw these waffle biscuits on Add a Pinch – I have made them a few times, so easy and fun! This time I decided to put ham and cheese right in them; toddler approved! (Toddler approval is a rare thing in our house.)
I can’t believe I just called my baby a toddler. Sigh. Time goes too fast.
These little waffles are perfect to have on hand. Easy to grab and take with you, wherever you go.
- 1 cups self-rising flour
- 1/8 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2oz cheese, shredded
- 1 slice ham, chopped up
- Heat up waffle iron.
- Add flour, cheese and ham to mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until well combined, I like to use the whisk attachment on my stand mixer to make this easy but you can also use with a pastry blender, two forks, or knives. Pour in buttermilk and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Roll into small balls, press flat and place in waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffle iron beeps (couple minutes); they should be golden brown. I could only cook 4 at a time, it took about 10 minutes or so to cook them all.
- Self-rising flour replacement: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp baking powder.
- Buttermilk replacement: add a splash of lemon juice or vinegar to your milk and let sit for a couple minutes.