This recipe is adapted from the greatest cookbook of all time. Eat Shrink & Be Merry.
(also found in the equally awesome book, by the same authors – The Looneyspoons Collection)
Once upon a time I used to cook healthy and count calories. No homemade pasta, naan, buns, bread, etc. I still try to pay attention to my calorie amount and I still like to use my healthy recipes but just not as often as I should. This is a recipe I have made lots, such a delicious salad. Great for a BBQ or potluck. The original recipe is called Kernel Austin and can be found in Eat Shrink & Be Merry – I am not a big fan of black beans so I have to change it up a little bit. I also leave out the jalapenos. I love eating them, I hate having them in the house. I once made some bacon and cream cheese peppers, my fingers burned for days!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups whole-kernel corn, canned or frozen (thaw first if using frozen)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp hickory-flavored bbq sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn. Cook and stir until corn just begins to char (don’t burn!), about 8 minutes or so. Add onions, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook and stir 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- Transfer corn mixture to a large bowl, and add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.